Re: Nationals/Asphalt (Loren's autox philosphy)

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nationals/Asphalt (Loren's autox philosphy)
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 06:37:35 -0500

Rex Tener wrote:

> At 09:31 PM 9/26/99 -0500, Loren Williams wrote:
> >> You just described all 900+ autocrossers that competed at nationals this
> year.
> >
> >All of them?
>
> Sure, have you met any that have unlimited vacation time, a family that
> lives for autocrossing, and has a unlimited budget?

Have I met anyone like that?  I didn't meet him, but I'm thinking Scotty
B. comes close. (not complaining, Scotty, I know you've worked for all
that you have)  There are bound to be others, but I didn't take the time
to try to meet everyone in attendance and ask them about their family
and/or financial background.  I was only there for the days that I ran,
I had other things to attend to (like course walking, working, etc).
The people that I did meet, I was more likely to ask about their car,
how they drove, what they thought of the courses or something along
those lines.

I'm not going to explore all of the possibilities, I'll just go with one
or two simple ones:  The self-employed person with no spouse, no
children and a healthy income.  The person with 4 weeks or more of
vacation, a working spouse who enjoys autocrossing, and no children.

> I thought so...
>
> Loren, you are the one that made the statement about limited resources.  I
> and many (all?) of the national competitors are all too familiar with
> limited resources.

Yes, I made that statement in reference to MYSELF, not everyone else.

Limited resources are relative, obviously. (I should have known better
than to leave that so open)  What some people would consider "limited"
could be at least 5 times as much as I have.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca