RE: Re: Nationals/Asphalt (Loren's autox philosphy)

To: Autox <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Nationals/Asphalt (Loren's autox philosphy)
From: Debbi Eley <debbi.eley@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 99 11:55:03 Central Daylight Time
Actually Loren, my message was intended for Mark.  In my frustration over your
post I hit the wrong button.
Apparently you were the only one that didn't understand Mark's comment. Believe
me, the rest of us did. As
one of those individuals that has driven 1000 miles to Nationals on 17
different occasion, I am convinced that
you do not have a clue as to this level of commitment that many of us have to
this sport.  For many of us,
Nationals does not come down to miles and dollars.  We will find a way to go
wherever, whenever and by
whatever means in order to compete on this level.  This is the "Super bowl" of
our sport and there is no
greater honor than being recognized as the best by your fellow competitors.  I
also competed on Tuesday
under wet conditions and did not find it in any way, shape or form FUN.  For
someone who would not travel
more than 100 miles to autox, it would be difficult to explain how frustrating
it can be to spend 12 months
traveling 1000's of miles in an effort to hone your skills only to realize you
will not be given the opportunity to
drive to the best of your ability.  I also don't recall you  mentioning rain
tires in your post.  Yes, driving in wet
conditions does take additional car control skills and patience, but rain tires
can offer a tremendous advantage
under the right conditions.  BTW rain tires were not available in the size we
required from our supplier thus
adding to the frustration of the moment.  A large part of the weather issue was
the fast that it was not
expected or anticipated.  Perhaps we could have been mentally prepared for it
if we had any warning that it
would be wet all day.  As for the other reasons people drive 1000 miles to
autox, without question it would
have to be the hundreds of people I have met over the  past 20 years that have
enriched my life in more ways
than I can list.  Nationals has given me an opportunity to establish
friendships from one coast to the other and
that is something money can't buy.  Could you travel cross country and know
that no matter where you were,
should you have car trouble you could call someone within 100 miles for help?
I can. You are fortunate that
you don't have to travel as far as we do to attend Nationals, but is that
really the point. This is a sport that
attracts many, but the true enthusiast are those that endure the hardships year
after year regardless of
weather, surface conditionals or those with unnessessary opinions. I don't
think I will be the first to tell you to
put your traveling shoes on, put your money where your mouth is and then tell
us what you think.  Opinions
are cheap, 1000 miles trips to Topeka is not.  BTW Loren, with all of your
extensive knowledge of this sport
one would think that you would know that I co-drove Mark Sipe's car at
Nationals this year.  SLAM
someone who so graciously allowed me to flog is car, use his tires and abuse
his equipment.  I DON'T
THINK SO!!
Debbi Eley - 98 ASL
--------