Re: NO2 Incident

To: Karl Witt <witt@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: NO2 Incident
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:55:02 -0700
Karl Witt wrote:

> On or about 03:33 PM 9/29/1999 , Joshua Hadler did say:
> >Craig Blome wrote:
> >> Point well taken, but reading further, there seems to
> >> be a serious product liability issue here with a
> >> popoff safety valve that failed to open.  Someone's
> >> gonna pay big for this is my guess.
> >
> >       They'd better. And that company is really lucky that no one was in or
> >near the car when it went. That's the kindof thing that could very well
> >cause a fatality.
>
> Excuse me????? of all places, i'd have figured this list would be a place
> where people would expect a person to take responsibility for their own
> actions, especially regarding modifications to a car. This tard failed to
> take proper safety precautions with the installation of his nitrous system
> and the comapny should pay?

        I was under the mistaken assumption that the hardware was installed
properly and that the blowoff valve failed to open. I have learned that
this was not the case, and to amend my previous statement...

        "That guy is really lucky that no one was around when it went boom".

        And it's unlikely that his insurance company will feel like coughing up
the dough either.

        However, if I had a blowoff valve fail on one of the LN2 dewars in my
lab (properly installed of course), and it exploded as a result, you bet
I would be seeking some compensation from the manufacturer of the valve.
But that is not the case here, he got what he made, a bomb.

> He didn't wire the heater into an ignition switched source. Strike one
> He put the pressure sensor for the heater on the wrong side of the bottle
> valve so when the valve was closed the safety switch that should have shut
> off the  heater at 1050 psi couldn't read the bottle pressure. Strike two.
> He left the heater on for 2.5 hours after accidently hitting the switch
> while working on the car. Strike three.
>
> How is this the company's fault?

        It's not. It's totally his own fault, and the bozo was lucky to have
not been injured or killed, or worse yet, cause same to someone else. I
retract my earlier statement that was based on erroneous information.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/