Re: Shift knobs/C&C (was: YAESPP)

To: "Lisa E." <clash_girl@yahoo.com>, Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: Shift knobs/C&C (was: YAESPP)
From: Eric Moon <info@scca-susq.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 18:32:42 -0400
At 01:59 PM 6/2/00 -0700, Lisa E. wrote:
>Hi, newbie here, and so far I've just been trying to
>get the feel of the list, but I have to ask a question
>here....
>
>I drive a Miata (95 R package) in BSL -- is it not
>legal for me to have an aftermarket shift knob and
>remove my visors?
>
>Believe me, I don't do it for the weight....I'm not
>good enough for it to matter yet...  I took the visors
>out after I got tired of them flopping around because
>they weren't secure in their mounts, and the knob just
>looks cool.
>
>Please let me know if that's not legal, I'm still
>learning the rules....
>
>Thanks,
>Lisa

Lisa,

As far as I am concerned, both of those are C&C items.

I'm assuming you have a Voodoo knob in your car.  I can't see where that is
lighter than the stock knob, and it does lower the shift knob a
little---shortening the throw, but also increasing the effort.
Beneficial?  Only in that emotional 5 hp that Miata drivers get from their
Voodoo.

The Visors fall under the rule that says it can be removed if it's not
permanently fastened.  The Miata's visors were designed to be
removed---there's no screws or anything holding them in.  You just pull
them out of the holes!
I think this was discussed here or on the Miata list last season, and
probably every season before that.

However, that's just my opinion and interpretation of the rules.  I could
be corrected or overthrown by the powers that be.

See you at the Gap next week?

Eric Moon
Co-Driver - Kosher Rice Racing G Stock '00 Acura Type R
'92 Miata - Taking a Year off for R&D
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com
pager:         7173297074@mobile.att.net
Appalachian Sports Car Club   www.scca-susq.com