Re: Visas to Russia

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: Visas to Russia
From: Ed Bickford <edbickford@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 22:42:25 -0400
"Kelly, Katie" wrote:

> Can you believe what a pain it is to get a visa into Russia nowadays? I just
> can't believe it. First of all, you have to have already made your hotel
> reservations in advance, you need a complete itinerary, blah blah blah. All
> for two stinkin' days in St. Petersburg. Anyone else encounter this when
> travelling to Russia?

Wait until you arrive at Customs, you haven't experienced anything yet.
:)

> I wonder if they autocross there?

Well sort of.

A few years ago I worked for a company having offices throughout the
former Soviet Union and made a couple trips to Moscow.  I always had a
driver and I think he was autocrossing using stop signs instead of
cones!
I was late for a meeting in downtown Moscow and traffic was backed up.
No problem, up on the sidewalk, around the stop sign, through the
intersection.  He could get away with it though his boss used to be the
minister of tourism. Nice guy until he threatened me.

--
Ed Bickford