Re: Visas to Russia

To: p.zahornasky@att.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Visas to Russia
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 21:54:13 EDT
Just try to go to Canada instead!!!  After hours on the phone to U.S. and
Canadian Customs I've given up(On the idea of going to the Canadian Autox
Nationals). As I understand it the problem is (As described to me by the
Canadian Customs office) my March-Apache Sports 2000 has no title or
registration.
No license plates is a big problem in the eyes of the Canadian officials.
They wanted
me to post a $5000.00 bond at the border saying that I was not going to sell
the car in Canada. That was not a bid deal if I could just pick the check up
when I came back across the border. Not the case, kids!! They wanted to mail
it back.

The Canadian Customs officer(Wendy in Ontario) told me that crossing into
each provience of Canada is different. In western Canada she said that there
are no state
police as we have in the U.S. So they have to police the border more
carefully.
They also wanted me to have a "Certificate of origin" from U.S. Customs .
They told me I needed three copies stamped with the seal of U.S. Customs and
a detailed list of what I was carrying for inspection at the border.

So I got on the phone here in Kansas City and called U.S. Customs. I got in
touch
with "Inspector Todd" He told me that U.S Customs Service could do the
paperwork
for the car if I wanted to bring it down to the downtown airport. I ask the
question
"If I do this is it a sure deal that I can go into and out of Canada without
a hassle?"
He said "No all this document says is that to the best of the U.S. Customs
Services
knowledge this vehicle is the property of a U.S Citizen. OK!!!

Mike(I don't think this car will be going to Canada anytime soon)B.