Re: Visas to Russia

To: <Hottvr@aol.com>, <p.zahornasky@att.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Visas to Russia
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 00:13:51 -0500
From: Hottvr@aol.com <Hottvr@aol.com>

>The Canadian Customs officer(Wendy in Ontario) told me that crossing into
>each provience of Canada is different. In western Canada she said that
there
>are no state
>police as we have in the U.S.

I can only speak of the two Provinces which border Minnesota, and my
information may be out of date.

Ontario has a provincial police force called the OPP.  I bet you can figure
out what that stands for.

Manitoba has no provincial police force.  That does not mean that there is
no highway patrol or other "state police" functions.  The province hires the
Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

>So they have to police the border more carefully.

This does not make a lot of sense to me.  I would think that smuggling in
eastern Ontario or Quebec would be just as much of a problem as smuggling in
the sparsely-populated west whether or not the have a provincial police
force.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green