Recent event "oopsies"

To: "KC Autox" <kcautox@egroups.com>
Subject: Recent event "oopsies"
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:38:10 -0500
Howdy all y'all.

Just in case anybody thinks that only our Solo clubs have gotten lax on
their safety guard lately, it just ain't so.  I think it's just a sign of
the times.  A very BAD sign that is.  Some much needed wake-up calls are
being heard elsewhere as well.

As some of you may or may not know, my last major expensive fun hobby (is
there any other kind?) was competitive pistol, rifle and shotgun shooting.
Believe it or not, guns can be just as dangerous as cars, in the wrong
hands.  ;^)  But in the right hands they can be quite fun and even
exhilerating or adrenalin pumping, sweat producing, thrusting, pulsating,
throbbing, and downright sexy.  Umm, hey sorry about that.  I tend to get a
tad bit carried away some times.  ;^)

Anyway, I was just recently made aware of an incident at one of my old
shooting clubs in which a long time competitor simply had a brain fart and
the result was that a pistol was discharged towards a bystander.  Luckily
the only thing that got hurt was the competitors pride when he got DSQ'd
from the match for gross negligence.  Nothing personal, just pack your stuff
up and watch the rest of the event from the sidelines, or go home, and think
seriously about what just happened.

In USPSA competitive pistol shooting there are many, many rules regarding
safety since guns can be far more deadlier than cars in just that split
second of a single brain fart.  Let's compare some math from the two sports.
Cars travel at (usually) no more than 80 mph (about 120 feet per second) and
bullets travel at (usually) no less than 680 mph (about 1000 feet per
second). You decide which one can hurt people quicker after a negligent act.

Anyway, the USPSA rules state quite clearly what is considered a safe action
and what isn't while handling firearms at sanctioned and insured matches.
This competitor accidentally broke several of the "cardinal" safety rules at
once but luckily nobody got hurt.  One of the major rules is known as the
"180 degree" rule.  Basically, as the competitor looks downrange at the
target array (while getting their game face on much as we autocrossers also
do at the start line) there is an imaginary line that bisects the shooter
from left to right and forms a 180 degree plane separating the shooter's
frontal area (and the target array) from their rearward area (and the
spectators).  Breaking this imaginary line with the muzzle of any loaded
weapon, at ANY time, is IMMEDIATE grounds for halting the match, making the
competitor clear their firearm and DSQ'ing that person from the rest of the
event.

Also, the shooter's trigger finger must never be on the trigger (or in the
trigger guard) while moving and not directly engaging a target.  Yes,
shooting while moving is allowed and actually a requirement for low run
times.  The more ground that you can cover in the shortest amount of time
means that your score will improve.

Only one shooter at a time has a loaded pistol at their ready while at a
match.  All eyes are on that person and their actions with a Range Officer
very near their shoulders to guide the shooter and watch for safe competitor
conduct.   Whilst negotiating a course of fire the competitor MUST keep
their firearm aimed within this "safe" 180 degree plane of fire.  Yes it is
the Range Officers responsibility to stay very close to the shooter (usually
just behind and slightly to the side of them) as they move about and monitor
their safe actions all the while not getting in thier way and screwing them
up or causing a safety problem.  Usually the competitor will need to move
laterally along the target array to complete the stage scenario.  Yes this
produces a lot of "almosts" as the competitor runs parallel to the target
array (and usually the crowd) with a loaded, high powered, high capacity,
all mechanical safeties off, firearm in their hands and swings it from
target to target, reloads it as necessary while "on the move", clears jams,
etc.  The Range Officer should always try to be very near the shooter to
watch their actions and assist the shooter if they need help with a jammed
gun, etc.

Think about it.  You've got a crowd of your friends and spectators standing
just yards behind you as you run across the range in front of them from left
to right or vice versa with a loaded gun, pausing or slowing down only just
as much as is needed to accurately hit paper and steel targets downrange
(remember, a low time is also a major factor in your final score in this
game as well) all the while trying to keep the muzzle of your firearm aimed
downrange and away from the crowd.  At the end of your run the Range Officer
instructs you to unload the rest of your ammo from the firearm and show them
a safe, empty firearm.  The shooter then holsters it or places it in a rack
with the action open showing all passers-by that the firearm is indeed
unloaded and completely 100% safe.

Kinda makes you shiver just thinking about the possibilities, don't it.
Luckily the safety record of the USPSA has been nearly spotless with only
minor injuries on their "oops" list.   But only due to the very careful
diligence of the club members who also run the local clubs and events.  As
in Solo, Club members voluntarily go to "safety" schools so that local club
events can function under the same safety guidelines as the big national
type events.

These are grown up games we play and there can be serious, grown up
consequences to pay if a single brain fart causes an "oopsie".  In today's
litigious society it only takes a single law suit of negligence to totally
and irrevocably shut down a club or worse, all of them.

So in summation, please let's keep on our toes and make safety a primary
concern ahead of fun and convenience.  Nobody's having fun while they're in
the hospital or in court.  And we should never be afraid to stop an unsafe
event and render it safe or if that's not possible simply not continue the
event.  There are no other choices available legally or morally.

No responses are necessary, just be safe out there and have fun.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Education is neither intelligence nor wisdom. An educated
fool can always find a philosophy to justify his folly.
I have no idea who originally said this.  But I like it.