Re: Sticking your arm out when rolling over.

To: autocross digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sticking your arm out when rolling over.
From: Scott Knight <scott@scottknight.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:08:31 -0400
Rick Cone wrote:

> Mr. Wagner says:
> >>The only injury was a result of a stiff armed attempt to stop the car
> from going over<<
>
> It has been noted that a certain Doctor currently driving a SS Rx7 tried
> this.
>
> And I have heard that other people in the Road Racing world have attempted
> this, but window nets kept them from making a very bad mistake.
>
> Look, Don't matter how much you want to.  No matter how strong you think you
> are.  You can not stop the car from rolling over by sticking your arm out
> the window.
>
> I know, probably easier said then done. :)  Thank goodness I have not had to
> experience it myself....

Heh, as a crashing veteran, the best advice I can give in any crash
situation is to relax as much as possible, hold onto the steering wheel
with both hands (firm grip, but loose arms) and get your feet somewhere
you can keep them from flopping around.  I have never had even a slight
injury from a couple of heinous crashes (both at well over 100 mph)
other than bruises where the belts hold me down (well, OK, the airbag
did bruise my arms and legs once, but I don't keep those activated
anymore). Relaxing is one of the hardest things to do, but it is very
important.  The more tense you are, the more your muscles will get
strained when the impacts come.  I find that it helps to concentrate on
each impact and to estimate the monetary value of it's damage rather
than to think of what can happen to my person ;^).
--
Scott Knight  mailto:scott@scottknight.com
http://www.scottknight.com/ IRC:SS396man