Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo

To: David Hawkins <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Subject: Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:24:07 -0400
David Hawkins wrote:
> Has anyone given a definitive distance to the timing van?

After the car stopped moving, the timing van was probably 40' away, and
the car waiting at the line was probably 20' away.  Just estimates
based on memory.  The maneuver that precipitated the rollover was a
considerable distance down the runway -- remember, this was a very fast
section of the course, approximately 70 mph in my Formula Ford, so
the car went pretty far from the point where the driver lost control to
the point where it stopped moving.

The course was rulebook legal, and I'm not aware of anyone who felt
it was unsafe after walking it (intimidating maybe, but not unsafe.)

Mark