Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo

Subject: Re: Ayers Roll Hold the Mayo
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:13:56 -0700
Mark-

Would you have any advice for the "lesser experienced" of us in such a
situation?  It seems like many of these incidents occur when I driver makes
multiple attempts to save it on a run thats already blown time and penalty
wise.  I watched a camaro driver at my very first autocross go 300 feet
past were he first got crossed up in a high speed offset trying to save it.
Just short of spinning, countersteer, snap, countersteer, snap,
countersteer, etc....  Left a really pretty set of skid marks and set a new
record for mangled cones.

Seems like the thing to do would be unwind the wheel and apply brakes.  I
guess each situation is different and its probably pretty hard to give such
advice over email, but I do drive a HIGH COG truck sometimes and I drive it
fairly hard.  I'll never put sticky tires on it, so I don't think I run a
huge risk.  I'm not sure I'd recognize a "bad situation" if it slapped me
in the face, but I do want to keep my truck sunny side up.

-STE