Re: Stupid cone tricks

To: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: Re: Stupid cone tricks
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:56:07 -0400
washburn wrote:
> Mark Sirota wrote:
>> Has anyone else ever seen someone get a pointer to stand up without
>> incurring penalties?
>
> You did not say how this astounding feat was completed.

I'm not certain.  I did see it, but I didn't fully realize what had
happened right off the bat.  Perhaps Alan can comment, or other
witnesses.

There are two possible scenarios:
(1) Alan went to the proper (left) side of the upright cone, and
brushed its base enough to move it slightly, and to cause the pointer
against it to rock and stand up.  These seems unlikely, but there are
some who do feel that he was on the proper side of the upright cone.

(2) Alan went to the improper (right) side of the upright cone, running
over the pointer.  In the process, the pointer stood up.  Either the
pointer or the kart itself pushed the upright cone a few inches, so
it moved, and was therefore hit -- so no off course, even though he was
on the wrong side of the upright cone.  This one seems more likely.

If the kart itself did not hit the upright cone, then one might
reasonably argue that it should be scored as an off course.  But
there's no way to know for sure, and the cone was indeed displaced
slightly.

Mark