online registration

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: online registration
From: John Eagan <johneagan@toltbbs.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:25:45 -0400
We've had an online season preregistration page for the regional series
on the NWOR website for a while now. I think it was starting before the
1998 season.. memory is going.

Basically, once you have a card in the file boxes that go to each event
(one for members, one for nonmembers), the registration folks have your
information for the duration of the year, provided you don't change
classes and/or cars. It just saves you from filling out the card at the
first event you run with us in that year. Since the cards are used, it
still means somebody has to fill out the cards after getting the email
that forwards the preregistration information to them after the entrant
fills out the form online. Then, that person has to manage to not
accidentally delete said emails before transferring the information
(ahem). I won't say who did that once, but she's a blond lady who
currently drives a very quick red Acura in STS along with her very quick
husband, and her name rhymes with "Debbie Fessler".

Since we don't require preregistration for regional events (which would
be silly), there's not much point in going much further with it on a
regional level, but it would be worth the effort to work out a
functional system for online registration for higher level events where
there is a large field, a very busy day for all, and a lot of people
travelling long distances from home to run. My own opinion on also
including online payment options is that it would be more a nifty widget
for somebody to show off than a practical help. After all, while it
would mean you still have to stand in some sort of pay line, at some
point you still have to show your face and say "yeah, I'm actually here"
when you get there.

JLE

http://www.kineticracing.com/nwor