Re: Air Canada Flight 174

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: Air Canada Flight 174
From: rase@canada.com
Date: 23 Jun 2000 17:49:49 -0700
On Thu, 22 June 2000, "Phil Ethier" wrote:

> Gimili, Manitoba, just like they said on the show.   It was thereafter known
> as the Gimili Glider.
>
> No, I was not there.  I heard that there were actually drag races at the
> time.  The movie looks like vintage racing or vintage autoslalom.
> Autoslalom (the Canadian word for autocross) events have been common at the
> side for decades, I think.

Yes.....there is a 1.3 mile road course there, 1/4 mi. drag strip, a kart
racing area and a solo II area (where the Canadian National Championships will
be held Aug. 18-20, 2000 - about 200 ' x 2600'.....will be two courses run
simultaneously).  During the CDN Nationals there will be a kart racing event, a
vintage road race  and the solo II event.....plenty of action.

> I believe that the Gimili base will be the site of this summer's Canadian
> Autoslalom Championships.  I'd like to attend, but Winnipeg it just as far
> from Saint Paul as Topeka is.

Yep....as noted above.  There was an article in the NA Pylon but I noticed the
dates/times/contacts/CNAC web site were not mentioned in the front page article
unfortunately.

Regards,
Reijo

Reijo Silvennoinen, CSCC Nat'l Event Rep.
Calgary, Alberta
Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC) web site:
http://www.cscc.ab.ca
Canadian National Autoslalom Championship (CNAC) list:
http://www.onelist.com/links/solocanada
CNAC web site:
http://CNAC2000.erc.bc.ca/