Re: Air Canada Flight 174

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Canada Flight 174
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 01:08:09 -0700
At 11:26 PM 06/24/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>The movie of the unfortunate incident was just on the local TV station
>today. They never announced the title, and I can't find the first post.
>What is the name of the movie again? Shelly Hack was the flight
>attendant IINM. The guy that always plays a Kennedy in movies was the
>pilot.

The movie was "Falling from the Sky: Flight 174" also known as "Freeall:
Flight 174" (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113018). William Devane played the
pilot. They changed the name and flight number, it was really Air Canada
flight #141.

>Of course the movie makers had to add a child in peril. There was a kid
>was riding his bike down the runway, one of the competitors had to run
>after him yelling to get off. OF course the kid, being the brat that he
>was wouldn't listen.

Believe it or not there really _was_ a boy bicyling on the runway. From the
IMDB trivia section on the movie:

In real life the pilots were not told to use the left runway -- since only
the right runway was in use (by aircraft), it was considered a one-runway
airport, nobody thought to advise them, and they simply guessed wrong. But
they didn't have to dodge cars, which happened to already have been parked
at the edge of the runway. There really was a boy bicycling on the runway,
though.
<<

- Alan Dahl
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl                  | home: adahl@eskimo.com