Re: Air Canada Flight 174

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Canada Flight 174
From: "David/Carolyn Spivak" <spivak@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 23:02:07 -0400
>On Thu, 22 June 2000, "Phil Ethier" wrote:

> Gimili, Manitoba, just like they said on the show.   It was thereafter
known
> as the Gimili Glider.

It ran out of fuel at 41000 feet (combination of misadventures) and had to
land with very limited controls. They couldn't get the nose wheels down
(although they did manage to lower the other landing gear). It skidded for
4000 feet along the runway and stopped about 500 feet from the cars and
drivers. Nobody was seriously injured I believe.

Now THAT's a safety problem at a motorsports event.

Carolyn Spivak
'00 GTI-VR6 STS
'78 Scirocco FSP