RE: the whole NT/participation thing

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: the whole NT/participation thing
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:29:25 -0700

Then the later entries don't get in, of course.

Autox entries to a given event are limited by daylight and other practical
constraints.  This is just like zillions of other things:  movies, football
games, dates with Kathy Ireland, opera tickets, space shuttle seats.  The
majority are dealt with on a first come, first served basis.  Those that aren't
have a screening/qualifying process established.  The latter are usually those
that are massively oversubscribed (see K. I. and the space shuttle).

There is no question of there not being room at events for established autoxers.
By "established" I mean those who regularly run National-level events and/or
have a serious expectation of trophying at them.  There's PLENTY of room for all
those people, in fact there aren't ENOUGH of them to fill out the event!

The majority of the entries are taken up by (mostly) local autocrossers who are
running the event certainly with the hope of doing well, but also for the
experience, practice, and/or general entertainment value.

There's an old aphorism found in business management books:  the CEO shouldn't
have a reserved parking place, because s/he shouldn't NEED one.  They should be
the first ones there every day.  If running National events is important to your
success as an autoxer, then get registered in a timely manner, and you won't
have any problems.  The reality is that these events are NOT oversubscribed to
any degree that would warrant a screening process.

KeS