Re: the whole NT/participation thing

To: johneagan@toltbbs.com
Subject: Re: the whole NT/participation thing
From: jon e prevo <tcbracer@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:47:22 -0500
I badly wanted to include the previous text from John Eagan, but it's
three feet long and I'm edit deficient...

John, the obvious difference between you and me is that I am slow but
determined to get fast (and that means exposing myself to all the other
fast I can and taking every opportunity to try fast and see fast and read
fast...), but you are quite happy being slow.  Maybe you have developed a
defeatist attitude from having limited funds and such strong local
talent.  I won't try to psychoanalyze you.  We in Texas Region have our
share of overdogs, but when I line up before Mark Madarash and behind
Kurt Janish I just don't get that overwhelmed, heartsick feeling of
impending failure that you seem to be describing in yourself.  When I
went to the National Tour and ran 8 seconds slower than my class I didn't
feel like I was in the way of anyone.  When I came back on Sunday and ran
less than 6 seconds behind the class I felt like I had accomplished
something.  _I_ competed on a higher level and _I_ was a winner that day
because I improved.  Now if I continue to make 2 second improvements each
National Tour day I race, in 2 years I will be at the top of my class.
You will still be running slow in your region and I am sure you will
still be comfortable.

Jon FP 73