Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ProSolo, Spectators, TV, et al.
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:04:21 PDT
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

>No, the road to success is paved with _spectators_. TV comes
>later.

Exactly.  The road to success, IMHO, begins with the construction
of a dedicated ProSolo facility near a major metropolitan
area.  "Car guys" can go to their local drag strip on any
weekend to check out the action, and it doesn't matter if
it's being sanctioned NHRA, NIRA, or anybody.  Contrast
this to your local autocross scene, where the Porsche Club
is running at the mall next weekend, and maybe the local
SECRET Car Club of America (SCCA) region is hosting a Solo-II
event at a remote location far away from prying eyes.

Starting out with some bleachers and a nice square of pavement
doesn't seem like an unreasonable expenditure for somebody
that could potentially reap millions of dollars from the
finished product.  Even a simple facility could be built
that places spectators/non-participants into less danger than
we see in a typical makeshift autocross paddock today.  In
terms of real estate, I would think that finding a piece
of square land is much easier than trying to find 3/4 miles
of level land for a drag strip.  Wanna talk financing
and revenue???  Snack shops, speed shops, tire vendors,
garage rentals, gift shops, and anything else that could
make sales wherever car guys gather.  During the week,
the site could be rented out for driver's education and
police driving schools.  I'm not even suggesting that the
site be owned by the SCCA.  As a private venture, it
can be rented to any organization looking for a square
piece of pavement with bathrooms and concessions, from
the Porsche Club to truck show guys.

Motorsports is still the fastest-growing spectator sport
in America, and there's no reason why the collective "we"
cannot capitalize on that and turn that momentum into making
autocross into the biggest _participant_ motorsport. As I
said two years ago, build it and they will come.....

-Arthur ("Would have paid $10 for a glass of water yesterday" edition)