Re: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: hassled by The Man (was Re: Maps and window decals)
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:37:19 -0500
> On a separate note I question that assertion, too - the number one thing
> that everyone (on this list) knows will improve your driving is seat
> time. Which is the number one thing your average highway patrol officer
> has literally YEARS of, training notwithstanding.

Does that count the seats in the donut shops? :)

Just using humor to ask a relative question... exactly what kind of seat
time is it?  My dad has many many hours of driving time, yet most of it is
at the speed limit, with lateral accelerations under 0.5g.  I have 78k miles
of driving on my current daily driver, which I also autox; yet I'm still a
newbie at autox since I've only done it 9 or 10 times.

I'm sure most patrol officers don't have to use 100% of their driving
skill/car ability all of the time.  I would guess that there are many of
them that have a good deal of high speed chase time or pursuit driving to be
excellent drivers and probably the better than average autocrosser.  But
I've also seen the "Real Police Videos" on tv where an officer was in
pursuit of a sports car and tried to bend the laws of physics in a sharp
sweeper at high speed... and he got some lift throttle oversteer enough to
give him a spin.

In general, I think most police officers are fair, its just the bad ones
that give them all a bad name.

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill