Re: Classing by Potential

To: Jkinser77@aol.com
Subject: Re: Classing by Potential
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:34:05 -0700

Jkinser77@aol.com wrote:

> I just wanted to suggest something that might help in the classing of cars
> after watching several of the top drivers in my mind, get into some of these
> cars at the schools, and their opinions from what was at the beginning had
> changed.  It's a way of better understanding what is in your hands, than what
> is on paper...sometimes they do not match like you would think.

It's a noble idea. I see some logistical problems, and it may be
impacted by car setup. How does one make sure that the new car is setup
to the limits that it can be? I don't see how, since it may take someone
a long time to get to that point, but classing needs to take that into
consideration.

But driving the car does have some merit. I spent sometime yesterday in
an M Roadster, two different MR2 Spyders, Supra, and some other cars as
an instructor, and it was informative to my relatively untrained butt.

P.S. What I learned: I really liked that Roadster, specially the
powerband. The Spyder NEEDS struts bad, but I liked a lot of other
things about it. My Toyos did fine once they were scrubbed in. The power
of sucky tires! An event can waste a lot of time if they don't do the
worker shift changes well. I should have used sunscreen. Playing two
hours of soccer after a long weekend of autocrossing is not
"exhilirating."

Randy Chase (recuperating at "work")