Re: Wendover SS Results - Vette!

To: <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>, "'Gary Thomason'" <gtsolo2@home.net>,
Subject: Re: Wendover SS Results - Vette!
From: "Steve Wynveen" <wynveen@ticon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:53:38 -0500
Well, how about that Viper in ASP?  Does anyone know how stock it is, or is
it all out street prepared?  It crushed SS by 1.362 seconds.  If it is close
to stock, I worry about classing it in the "new" fast SS (class 1).

Corvettes I can deal with.  I might actually be able to afford a ZO6 in a
couple years, once I pay off my RX-7 :-(  (that is, if I'd actually want to
part with my Japanese Ferrari).  However, to me a Viper is an exotic, or at
least, semi-exotic.  The RX-7 looks like a high volume production car in
comparison.  If we put the Viper in stock, why not a Ferrari 355 F1, or 360
Modena?  If the Viper dominates, I'll have to agree with a prior Cashmore
comment, that we are creating a class that very few will show up to race in.
I don't think that many C5 or RX-7 owners are going to run out and buy a
Viper, instead they'll move on to another class.

Is this not true?  It is hard for me to stay unbiased on this matter, since
I am just getting started in this sport and am faced with the prospect of
having an "obsolete" car that I still owe a lot of money on.  This year's
Nationals ought to prove very interesting (and not just because it will be
the first year for me).  There's a certain C4 on Hoosiers from Ohio that I
think may show the RX-7 TT and C4 aren't a class apart.

Of course, a Tunnell driven E46 M3 is going to be very fast as well.  Looks
like those ESP guys finally pooled up enough money to buy a can of "Bob and
Patty-Be-Gone ®" from the A-stockers.  ;^)

Steve Wynveen
Mercury Marine
R&D Engineer - Engine Development
1994 RX-7 R2, Vintage Red, #141 SS (Milw. Region)
slowly climbing the tall ladder of driving ability...slowly, slowly