Re: Thanks Sid

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>, <Popsracr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks Sid
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@alwaysthinking.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 00 14:39:09 -0400
Popsracr@aol.com wrote:
>With regard to the newly SM people that are meant to be street driven, I do
>want to point out the clarification of the statement as "most" and not "all"
>and I'm only referring to the most competitive cars in those classes (i.e.
>Nationals winning championship cars) in fully sanctioned classes (i.e. not
>including SM).  The whole point being that the best cars in these classes
>are more than likely not daily driven, street legal in design.
>
>Think about this, how many of the top winning drivers and cars in SP, P and
>Mod class winning cars have full legal license plates, pass emissions
>testing, are driven daily and still come to Topeka with their tires in the
>back or pulling them on a trailer?  I'd say the closest winning cars might
>appear in one of the SP classes.

Let's presume that all the top SP cars aren't 'streetable' (whatever that
means). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't SM a superset of the SP rules
with the 4 seater & street licensed requirements?

Many SP cars meet the 4 seat requirement... no big deal.

Street Licensed isn't a real big 'on track' limitation, because the car
doesn't have to be inspected as raced. Some states/counties/etc. are more
liberal than others. Also, my car is registered as an antique, I can do
almost anything to that car and it's still street legal. I no longer have
an inspection to worry about.

Given that you can do SP mods and more. And that the top SP cars are
'unstreetable'. Do you really expect the top SM cars to evolve into
something that stays 'streetable'? Couldn't a 'unstreetable' ESP car run
as an SM instead?

It seems to me that as soon as you allow any springs, the top cars can
reach a point where many folks will deem them 'unstreetable'. But it is
also a rather common mod for the crowd that SM trys to attract. I don't
really think it's possible to maintain a general agreement of what's
'streetable' beyond the stock classes.

Scott Mitchell
70 Lotus Europa S2  - ASP
(2 seater... no dog in the SM fight)

"Buying a [Lotus] Europa and not autocrossing it is like buying a book
 and not reading it." - Phil Ethier