RE: Legend car class

To: "'Bruce Haden'" <Bhaden@ucsd.edu>, autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Legend car class
From: "Colbert, Raymond J." <Raymond.Colbert@alcoa.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:22:15 -0400
OK,

I guess I should get involved at this point as I have been lobbying SCCA to
get certain kit cars placed in Prepared Class with the Loti and Legends type
cars.  It is my opinion that if a car is not homologated but still is street
legal (Legends cars might fit here with lights) it ought to be in prepared
class.  I am autcrossing a Porsche 550 Spyder kit that is street legal and
can not be fitted with decent slicks so it runs on Hoosiers.  Admitedly
these kinds of cars do not fit in SP or stock but prepared yes and the times
are comparable.  All they need is a suitable formula to prevent the driver
from inflating HP and handling beyond what is reasonable for the street.

As far as production cars go please define production.  SCCA alredy violates
its own homologation rules of 1000 units per year with all those vintage
sports cars still listed and the "new" Lotus 7 and the TVRs.  If it fits in
the class let it run. There are lots of relly nice streetable kit cars out
there that are extremely uncompetitive because they run with formula cars
and the like. Use some common sense.

Ray Colbert
Steel Cities Region
Oakmont (Pittsburgh) PA
1957 Vintage 550Spyder (Porsrche 550 Replica)