RE: Ladies classes

To: "'Rocky Entriken'" <rocky@tri.net>, Paula Whitney <pwhitney@shamroc.com>,
Subject: RE: Ladies classes
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:17:11 -0700
Rocky Entriken writes...

>"You could run HS or DSP, why do you want to run STS >instead?" Because
they DO! And it attracts more
>drivers. Ditto Ladies. Leave them alone!

I am a woman who runs in the Open class. It really doesn't matter to me
where other women choose to run.

So far, what I'm really getting from all this is that we're supposed to do
away with Ladies classes... because of the boring banquets?!

Legally, I don't know what kind of ground Solo II is standing on. I'm not an
expert on the law, but wasn't there just recently some controversy due to
five boys playing on an all girl's little league team? There were the world
championships, or something of that nature, and many of the other teams
simply forfeited, because the coaches and parents didn't feel it was fair
for the girls to play these rather large teenage boys.

Just why were there boys playing on an all girls team? Because in their town
in Arizona, there wasn't a similar sport available for boys.

Again, I'm not a legal expert, but my understanding is, and maybe someone
can clarify, if say you have a high school football team, and there isn't a
women's football team available. Then legally, girls must be allowed to try
out for the team, and accepted onto the team if they meet the requirements.

Autocross might be different, because this is not a federally funded sport,
but here's the situation: Women CAN run in the Open class. There is no rule
that says women can't run in the Open class. The opportunity IS there. It
has always been there.

If it were a situation of, "Men's Autocross," then "Women's Autocross"
wouldn't create the same controversy. It would be something similar to
"Men's Basketball" and "Women's Basketball."

In this sport, women are given a choice, to either compete with women only,
or with both genders in the Open class. What makes this so controversial is
that the women who choose to run separately can win the same contingencies,
in much smaller classes.

That they're given this choice is what many deem to be so "unfair." And as
more women migrate over to the Open class, the controversy is only going to
grow.

Personally, this choice does not insult me or bother me at all. And here I
am, a woman, running in the Open class. Sometimes, I wish some women would
run Open, because there are so many amazingly talented women drivers out
there, and sometimes I feel like I'm watching them as they deny themselves
this golden opportunity, to what. To win an open national championship, to
score high in the trophies, to earn a trophy at all, to aid in the
destruction of this stereotype and these gender wars that are hurting us
all. These are fantastic results, and the feeling is so phenominal, if you
just give yourself a chance. Running Open, has increased my love of
autocrossing so much. I've talked with a lot of women who run in the Open
class, and they feel the same way. THAT'S why I wish more women would run
Open, because the results would be so positive. But to criticize them for
their personal choices, no, I won't do that. I respect them.

But here's the thing, and here lies the difference between my personal
views, and the harsh reality, and I hope someone can actually bring some
facts to the table, because I'm curious. There might be a law about this.
It's really a matter of someone actually getting a lawyer and taking this to
court. It certainly wouldn't be me, but it COULD happen. Frankly, I don't
know where the law sits, but given recent happenings documented in the press
(does Title IX come into play here?), I just wonder how much longer Ladies
classes can remain in their current incarnation. Possible outcomes: the
elimination of Ladies classes entirely, or separate men's and women's
divisions.

My personal choice? Leave things as they are. More and more women are
migrating over, naturally. I would encourage this natural progression.
That's my personal view, however. Don't know how well it stands up in a
court of law.

I really do think we need to examine this in a legal context, ONLY, however,
because anything else is just name calling.

Katie K.