RE: Ladies classes

Subject: RE: Ladies classes
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:34:35 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Sam & Greg Scharnberg wrote:
> >1. It adds overhead to the event.  Extra classes to keep track of, extra
> >trophies to present.
> >

> They also add revenue to the event!  In most instances, cost decrease as total
> # of entries increase.  I expect Nationals is the same.

So you beleive that all those folks in ladies would quit if the classes
were dropped?  Of my admittedly super-small sample pool of ladies drivers
I know, I believe _all_ of them would contiue to run if ladies classes
were dropped.

> >2. It potentially de-values "competitive" wins in other classes.
>
> What are competitive wins?  The number in class, the margin of victory, or
> what?  A win is a win whether it be by .001 or by 10 seconds and whether there
> are 2 or 20 in class.  How does a Championship in one class de-value a
> Championship in another?

I don't think you really beleive that.  Perhaps its just me that doesn't.
However, I bet that if I call up Jean Kinser and offer to be an
instructor, after all I'm the CP ProSolo National Champion! (grn.), that
she'd be pretty surprised.  That someone who is even a tiny bit removed
from the ProSolo crowd can't distinguish between my award (and by
inference my driving ability) and Erik Strelnieks' award to me
artificially inflates my award and devalues his.

> >3. It potentially dillutes the sponser/contingency pool.
>
> I really do not see a correlation here to low-subscription classes.  Companies
> target a particular market (like soloists) not a particular class.  They want
> to promote their product to the masses and influence the targeted market to
> use
> their product.  Even the participants in under subscribed classes may be
> persuaded to use their product.

"dillutes" in the sense that other more deserving drivers don't get
awards, not in the sense that those sponsors won't participate.  I think
it makes sense that a company who wants to offer contingency for 60
classes will offer a shallower payout for each class than if there were 30
classes.

> >4. Low subscription classes that are clearly artificial bother me in
> >theory.
>
> All of the present classes ARE ARTIFICIAL, maybe with the exception of A Mod.
> And A Mod still has restrictions!

Artificial true, but _based on performance differentiators_.  I don't
believe sex is a performance differentiator.

Mark