Re: Banquet Longevity

To: GRMPer@aol.com, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Banquet Longevity
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:08:32 -0500

GRMPer@aol.com wrote:

> I'm sure someone else has already quipped on this one......I guess we now
> know that at least some aliens are Christian.
>
> FWIW,  I've gotten some negative feedback on what I said...but a LOT of
> positive, private feedback.   Prayer before sports banquets has just irked me
>  since high school.   Moments of silence seem more appropriate.

Not that it will mean much coming from me, but I'll offer you some public
positive feedback.  While public prayer doesn't really offend me, the fact
that they are often so narrow in scope and leave so many people out
(especially when they are blatantly Christian in nature) bothers me a bit.
And, as someone said, I do sometimes find it amusing.

What I find offensive are the people that imply that I'm a bad person
because I carry no belief in religion.  I grew up in a typical "Christian"
home (with typical "do as I say, not as I do" parents who held prejudices
against a variety of races, etc, etc), I just made a different choice as I
grew up.  I know what is morally right and what is wrong, and I sometimes
make mistakes just like everyone else.   I don't need a religion to back
that up.

(not even gonna touch the hypocrisy:religion issue)

But let's not get into a deep religious debate here on the Autocross list.
It's not appropriate.

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca