RE: Banquet Longevity

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Banquet Longevity
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 23:30:47 -0400
>Religion and prayer should be voluntary, not forced.  Its certainly not
>the biggest problem Solo2 has (like, say La... :-), but its inappropriate
>for the banquet.

Of course this begs a question of me.  As someone who doesn't autocross as
often as he would like because I do feel it is important to go to church (I
wish more events were on Saturdays), I have to wonder why people's
Christian beliefs are considered offensive and people just assume that
non-Christian beliefs are "inoffensive?"  I am not saying I am offended by
it but I have to wonder why others are offended by my beliefs.  For
instance, I  don't agree with using the Lord's name in vain.  I don't do
it.  To me it's something that I don't believe is right and I don't
particularly like to hear.  But I don't go around telling people it offends
me and they should quit doing it.  I understand that not everyone believes
in Jesus.  I would agree that a moment of silence to honor everyone's
beliefs would be appropriate.  I just find it extremely hard to believe
that using the name of Jesus in a prayer would be considered more offensive
to non-Christians than non-Christians using the name of Jesus in their
curses is to Christians.  No one here seems to be advocating an end to
that.  I just don't see any forcing everywhere.  Just as I choose not to
participate when others around me are invoking Jesus' name in vain, those
around me can choose not to participate when I invoke it in a prayer.

Flame me if you want, I won't reply, that's what I believe and it's not
going to change.

-Matt