Re: Dennis' Agenda

To: "Knudsen, Keith (K.C.)" <kknudsen@visteon.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dennis' Agenda
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:33:14 -0500
Keith Knudsen wrote:

> Why is the current SP format such a sacred cow?

Uhh, well, because it works. It's well-subscribed.  Look at
Nationals attendance. Or Tours. I'd suggest reading the "core
values" portion of the Solo II rulebook as well.

> It may have made sense when
> the rules were originally developed, but it has not kept pace
with the
> "market".    There has been an explosion in aftermarket parts
and parts
> makers that allow more modification options to cars, while
maintaining their
> "streetability".

That's simply incorrect. When SP was invented, there were lots of
enthusiasts at the time who had changed camshafts, done engine
swaps, replaced hoods with aftermarket units, etc., etc. None of
this is new. All of the above were readily available and commonly
done modifications when SP was invented, and none were allowed in
the Category. It made sense at the time, and it makes as much
sense now.

> Hypothetically, if I wanted to compete in SP rather than Stock,
it could
> likely be because, in addition to driving, I like modifying my
car.

So, lemme get this straight: you don't think that a winning SP
car is modified from stock?

> I find
> the current SP rules constraining relative to what's out there
on the market
> to play with.

Well, let's examine some of the things that are "out there":

1. Replacement ECUs ("Chips") and "piggybacks" - legal in SP

2. Cold air induction systems - legal in SP

3. Camshafts - not legal in SP, but readily available for the
last 50 years or so. Nothing's changed there.

4. Various internal engine items - always available, never legal
in SP. No change in the last 20 years in that situation either.

5. Suspension kits - mostly legal in SP.

6. Turbo mods - intercoolers are unrestricted, changes to boost
limiting systems are illegal. Turbo modifications (and
installations) aren't new. they were around when SP began.

> And I don't believe it's possible to have a competitive
> Prepared or Mod car that's streetable.

I'd add Street Mod to that list.

> Adding more classes isn't the answer.  There are enough
already.

The water's over the dam there. SM is here, as long as it can get
enough entries at Nationals.

> I vote for letting the SP classes evolve to something closer to
the SM
> allowances (although I'd shy away from some of the more extreme
drivetrain
> allowances).

That would be another debate, then. I'm sure the SPAC will
consider any suggestions you want to pass along.

Jay