Re: Tow Vehicle Question

To: autox@autox.team.net, stuart@strickland.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Question
From: "James A. Crider" <autojim@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 19:29:28 -0400
Dr. Stuart Strickland <stuart@strickland.net> asked:

>After putting another unnecessary 600 miles on my Elise this weekend, I've
>decided to start towing to events far from home.  Not ever having done this
>before, my question is this:
>
>What sort of relatively inexpensive vehicle would be appropriate for
pulling an
>open trailer with about 1500 lbs of car?  My only other car is an MX-5 and I
>don't think she's up for the job.

Hmmm... things that are available in Europe and can tow a car... Land
Rover, Gelandewagen (not inexpensive), M-Class (not inexpensive), BMW X5
(not inexpensive), old DAF lorry, Unimog, Tatra, Volvo, MB lorry tractors...

Believe it or not, I once spent part of a summer driving up mountains in
the American Southwest in a variety of vehicles, including a Renault Espace
2.5 TD, which pulled close to 5000 lbs, if not comfortably or speedily, at
least without causing major problems, even up steep (9%) grades.  We also
had an Audi 100 that towed a lesser amount (I want to say around 2000-2500
lbs) without drama.

Of course, were you here in the States, I'd encourage you to buy one of my
employer's Dodge Ram Cummins TurboDiesels, which wouldn't even notice a
little open trailer/Elise combo behind it at all... even though the new GM
Duramax turbodiesel/Allison automatic is probably the best thing on the
market right now for Tow Beast duties in a pickup truck.  I'm working on
the next Ram heavy-duty right now, so I get to drive all the new stuff out
there. :)

Jim Crider
autojim@att.net