Re: Tow Vehicle Question

To: <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Question
From: "hknobel" <hknobel@peachnet.campuscwix.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:45:13 -0400
  I  used a Porsche 944 for tow vehicle for years and it was a great one.
Excellent brakes, good cooling system, adequate size tires,  strong
drivetrain, etc.   With standard shift it had adequate power, though downshift
to 4th was fairly frequent to keep in the rpm range.  It never suffered for
power in the mountains because I always felt confident that I could run the
RPM up to 4 grand or above without harming the engine.  It seemed to suffer no
ill effects from many hours of towing, made excellent mileage,  and had a
little class when not towing.

  IMO, two wheel trailers are more than adequate for the towing of 1,500 lb.
cars even with an additional 300 lbs. of spares and tools.  I have used a 2
wheel trailer to carry a Toyota Corrola (2400 lb.)behind a Motorhome while
touring all over the country. Trailer tires on 15 inch rims can be had that
will carry the load very well.  The open trailer weighs less than 1,000 lb and
is plenty strong.  With proper hitch system and centering the mass over the
axle stability is not a problem.

  Harold Knobel,  D Mod Fiat 600(soon)