Re: Prepared miata reclassing thoughts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prepared miata reclassing thoughts
From: Stan Whitney <sd_whitney@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 14:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
Just my 2c (mine alone, not the SEB's), and some more data for thought.  When
looking at the performance of the winning miata over the last couple of years,
keep in mind this was not a 'max effort', cost no object build up.  Sorry Paula
if I divulge too many speed 'secrets'.

While fuel injected, the engine is in a mild tune, for durability and cost (it
has run for 3 seasons now), and could make 25-30% more power within the current
rules (or even in E-prod spec) It ran it's first season with stock cams. It is
fast because it is geared well, gets good traction, runs crisply, and the car
is light :).

The suspension is very limited prep, with stock pickups and 100K+ mile RUBBER
BUSHINGS!  No trick double or triple adjustable shocks, no heim joints.  Even
the CSP cars are better prepped.  What makes it work? the car is light and the
CG is low :) Wonder what makes those darned hondas fast...1600lbs and a great
driver.

The car was deliberately 'under' engineered to preserve lots of the 'goodness'
mazda had built in, not to mention simplify the construction. It also ran this
year's nationals with electrical issues and a broken motor mount... and in
previous years, let's just say it was not my 'JT' like skill pedalling the car
to the podium :(

The biggest factor that makes that car fast is that each year, the drivers run
the car hard, against national level competition, at least 10 times a year at
Pro's and Tours, and that quality seat time is invaluable for driver and car
development.

So when the SEB asks me how much faster can a miata really go, I feel I
provided them with a fair assessment of the capabilities of the platform.

I do feel a light car with real wheels (larger then 15x7") and no fuel
injection restrictions can be competitive in AP, no, this does not mean
dominate, and if I can't win on a power course, I'll go after the competition
the next day, or the next event. It is pretty rare that every event is all
'power' courses.  Isn't that the whole idea about 'competition'?

Do you need 600hp? how much of that can you usefully put down in a 2200lb car?
I know I had trouble with 200hp in an 1900lb car.  Give me 50+hp, and over
100lbs less weight, and wide wheels, and I'd be happy to try.  For what we do,
light weight really works!

I also think a well prepped car in DP with more weight/restrictions will still
dominate - the crowd can decide if that's a good or bad thing (if it has not
already).

FP sounds interesting, and should probably have been considered (damned that
hindsight!), and EP, while the numbers are probably ok, is conceptually
difficult(sedans vs sportscars)

Sorry for the vent, but I think it's information that everyone needs to have to
draw their conclusions with some confidence.  Either way it's goign to be hard
to please everyone with the outcome.

Stan Whitney - now having trouble with 400hp :)