Re: Prepared miata reclassing thoughts

To: "'team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepared miata reclassing thoughts
From: "Ayer, John K" <john.k.ayer@boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:12:51 -0700
Note: Digest delayed responses...
>Among some of the things that have gone on:

>I was classed with a Boxster and other such cars in my SCCA F-Stock Camaro
(BTW, the Boxster was driven by a Nat'l champ), which is a little screwy.

But, Sam... aren't you a National Champion too?

But I really want to talk about DP/AP/FP...
>FP sounds interesting, and should probably have been considered (damned
that hindsight

It's not too late to make and Miata to FP proposal, as an alternative to a
poorly received AP proposal...  I can put this on paper and send it to the
SEB.

> and EP, while the numbers are probably ok, is conceptually
difficult(sedans vs. sports cars)

The SEB hasn't had any resistance to classing sedan vs.. sports car in other
categories.   M3 vs.. Corvette(SS and BSP), WRX vs.. Camaro in ESP, Miata
vs.. many sedans in CSP.  And the poor X1/9 against the whole world of
sedans in DSP(post FSP), which was sedan class from the start.  Why does
Prepared  get treated different?  By the time you get 240Z, you've truly got
a 6 cyl. 510 with a swoopy body.  And an RX7 is truly an RX3 from the waist
down, except the 3 is lighter :)
Fiero, MR2, and X1/9 are all just relocated sedan(and not even good sedans)
components rearranged into "sports car" platforms.

Also any resemblance of Miata to Lotus is in appearance only.  Basing
anything on "Lotus-like" features is pure, pure poppycock.  My Saab Turbo,
with it's Twin Cam motor(developed with Triumph), rack and pinion
steering(also Triumph spec., giving it more English genes than the Miata),
and double wishbone front suspension has as much in common with an Ilan as a
MIata does.   How silly is that???

>Stan Whitney - now having trouble with 400hp :)

Kimball Ayer, DS (or ESP) WRX, fmr. Fiat pilot, 1yr. SS Corvette.