Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts

To: Charlie Davis <Smokerbros@aol.com>, autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts
From: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:25:55 -0500
From: Smokerbros@aol.com

>Remember that the 2002 Nationals winning DP Miata was 0.5 behind the
winning
>AP time.

Charlie, maybe you didn't see my other note.  The only reason the time
difference was so low was that the 2nd place AP car (Platt) coned all of his
runs on the one day.  Add back in the two-second penalty and you get a 1.8
differential between him and the DP Miata.

>That car has not taken advantage of all the Prepared allowances,
>and gets to lose weight when going to AP. I'm not convinced that the Miata
>needs to spend that money just yet, to win in AP. Ultimately, they would
want
>to take advantage of every allowed mod, but the current DP Miatae are in
>various states of preparation.  A Miata could win AP next year with the
lower
>weight and full preparation to the rules, sans FI and big wheels.

Given the actual time differential above, do you still believe that just a
few minor tweaks could get the car there?

>BTW, my 16 X 12's don't cost $2500/set, they cost $1000/set.  I'll let
>someone else address the FI cost, but I've been told $2500 might be a bit
>high there, too.

The FI is $2300.  I have one on my CSP car.  Then, you'll need dyno time to
re-tune the motor.  Thus, the $2500 figure.  As for the wheels, you get what
you pay for.  Sure, you can get wheels for $1000.  But they probably aren't
the lightest and strongest you can buy within reason.

--Andy