Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:33:48 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>

> One thing people keep talking about is how the DP Miatas aren't prepped to
> the hilt...
> How many other prepared cars are?  Is Platt's car maxed out?  Kinney's?
> The non-miatas in DP?

Level of prep in DP -- skipping over Miatae (except one) and co-drivers,
from the top:

Imbeau's is an ex-Bob King car. Well-prepared.

Bollinger, who has the knowledge and skills to build his own speed, ditto.

Scannell's is the Spridget Randy Herrick built and won four national
championships in. Herrick makes his living working on cars and knows how to
build speed and handling. Wade won one too. Yepper.

Pratt Cole told me his could have more to do yet, and he was running at his
roadrace weight so was way heavy.

Cutrer's also was built by Herrick (or at least with Herrick's input), and
in which Randy won twice more.

Bo Rader's was originally built by the late Scott Liebler and is a pretty
kickass example. He has some really good engine.

Dunham's is also about maxed out, and has the knowledge, skills and shop to
build his own speed. Runs the 1275 engine in the 1147 chassis.

Sonntag's is, IIRC, the ex-Tom Bootz 1200. Bootz won three in it (and later
Jan Whitworth [now Rick] won DPL in it).

And then you are down to me, and I probably could squeeze a little more out
of the motor yet (which also is either the smallest motor or second-smallest
in the class), but only at even greater cost and much more questionable
reliability. And I have no engineering skills so I have to buy my speed
(thanks, Wayne Snyder!).

As far as Platt and Kinney go, I know less about them but my impression is
that both, being longtime Nationals competitors, have taken their cars a
long way.

> How about drivers?
> I'm just asking the question.  I have _no_ idea how well built the various
> cars are or how good the drivers are.

Lindberg -- 12 Nationals but first in Prepared, 7 trophies all in FS.
C. Imbeau -- only his third appearance. Trophied every time
Bollinger -- 20 Nationals, 14 trophies, three championships.
Scannell -- 23 Nationals, 19 trophies -- nine times in the ex-Herrick car,
trophied every time, 1 championship
Cole -- second National, first trophy (and two Runoffs championships)
Cutrer -- 24 Nationals, 11 trophies, six of them in the last eight years\
Tagtow -- three Nationals, no trophies
Rader -- five Nationals, one trophy
L. Imbeau -- Four Nationals, two trophies
Reeves -- 16 Nationals but first in Prepared, no trophies
Dunham -- 25 Nationals, 16 trophies (2nd four times)
Sonntag -- Five nationals, no trophies
Hudson -- Five nationals, no trophies
and me -- 30 Nationals, two trophies (several years a tail-ender when I
could not afford the motor)

--Rocky Entriken