Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts

To: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:12:49 -0500
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>

> I don't ever remember a Sprite being classed as "poor geometry".

You are joking, right?  Stock Spridgets have gobs of roll-oversteer.  It's
function of the geometry of the rear leaf springs.  Meanwhile, the front
camber curve is not perfect, either.  If you are planning on using stock
geometry, plan on serious stiffening.  Much heavier front springs, serious
sway bars (the Winner's Circle has them) and toss in a Panhard rod while you
are there.   I'll wager that winning Prepared Spridgets are way past this
level (which is legal for Street Prepared) and no longer have geometry as
stock.  In fact, I think they tend to have coil springs in the rear.

> they are still using stock pickup points, etc.

Maybe, but I'd like to see one before believing it.

> > The same somewhat goes for the engine.
>
> Which IMO illustrates the need for some type of adjustment to be made to
the
> Miata's classing....a Miata engine stock is making the same HP as a 15:1
> Sprite motor, I'd guess.....

An "A"-block is a bloody-primitive motor.  Lots of work is required to get
it up to the HP of Street-Prepared-level engine of modern twin-cam design.
Look at the engine in a Suzuki Swift.  Roughly the same displacement as a
Spridget engine, and it is 100 HP stock, with great drivability, a wide
torque band, and low emissions to boot.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com