Re: shop manuals

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:01:02 -0500
At 04:26 PM 3/1/2004 -0500, Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/1/04 10:47:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>mattm@optonline.net writes:
>

> > A question for those who have been on a protest committee or SEB or
> > advisory classing committee. Is the OBD2 supplement mandatory? It is a
> >

>Depends on what is being protested.  If someone is protesting suspension
>components in a Stock class, as a PC member I wouldn't dsq a competitor
>for not
>providing the OBD II supplement.  In SP or Prepared, the OBD II supplement
>isn't
>needed, as OBD II isn't required in those classes.  But get protested on OBD
>II operation in a Stock class, fail to provide any info on the OBD II system
>and I think the PC would have to discuss whether DSQ is appropriate.
>
>My opinion, only...
>
>Charlie

FYI the OBDII Manual for my 1997 Mustang (which is about 4" inches thick
and covers a bunch of 1997 Fords) wouldn't be of much use in any protest
situation. About all it is potentially good for is identifying various
parts and various codes. It is so useless for shade tree mechanic purposes
that I didn't buy one for my 2001 Mustang (which is highly unlikely to ever
seriously compete in an SCCA autocross).

Seriously, in regard to OBDII, since states are going to emissions testing
which only involves plugging into the OBDII port (no actual emissions
measurements), could "reading the OBDII" be used to verify the aspects of
OBDII that can actually be policed in a protest situation?

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF