Re: shop manuals

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:42:34 -0500
At 04:26 PM 3/1/2004 -0500, Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

>Depends on what is being protested.  If someone is protesting suspension
>components in a Stock class, as a PC member I wouldn't dsq a competitor
>for not
>providing the OBD II supplement.  In SP or Prepared, the OBD II supplement
>isn't
>needed, as OBD II isn't required in those classes.  But get protested on OBD
>II operation in a Stock class, fail to provide any info on the OBD II system
>and I think the PC would have to discuss whether DSQ is appropriate.
>
>My opinion, only...
>
>Charlie

In regard to suspension spec's in factory shop manuals:

Even when factory manuals are available for a reasonable price they won't
necessarily include the relevant (for Stock autocrossing compliance
determination/documentation purposes) information.

The shop manuals for my 97 and for my 01 Mustang GT's do not include any
spring or anti-roll bar specifications at all. Nothing. The springs have
tags on them from the factory which include spring codes but the manuals do
not give specs for the springs or even say which codes are appropriate for
which version Mustang. Based on Ford shop manuals, a protestor would have
to find supplemental information to prove that I put non stock springs in a
stock Mustang (for example, Bullitt or Mach 1 springs in a GT). Nothing in
the rules says that the factory spring tag has to stay on the spring in
stock. But even if they were there, how would a car owner or a protestor
determine whether they are correct (for the car or for the spring) or not?

I admit that I didn't buy the specifications manual for the 2001, but the
one I still have for 1988 Fords also did not include spring or bar specs.
I'm not assuming that the $55 manual for my 2001 will or will not have them
since the car isn't for autocrossing anyway.

The only specs (other than various road tests and magazine articles) I've
found are on Ford Media web sites . . . and the rear anti-roll bar that
came from the factory on at least one of my Mustangs doesn't match the info
in Ford's media "specifications". Since I factory ordered the cars and got
them the same day they arrived at the dealer I know (but "you" don't) that
they are still OEM for my car.

What is someone who buys a car used supposed to do to verify legality? They
don't necessarily know the history of the car and even the factory manuals
will not necessarily give them the most relevant specs.

Makes me even more glad that I run a class with very well defined
specification rules.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF