RE: shop manuals

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: shop manuals
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:49:51 -0600
I recently read about the vintage racer who wanted to add "just a little" zip
to his racer and went to a camshaft supplier with a request for a slightly
illegal regrind.  The supplier said, "Oh, you want the cheater cam the other
guys are using" and pulled it off the shelf.  No manual in existance will
catch that guy, because the competition is just as illegal as he is.  If the
purpose of the rules is to prevent cheating, then ban the cheater from
autocross for life when he cheats.  That will stop deliberate breaking of the
rules for most people.  If the purpose of the rules is to "level the playing
field", then make everyone run an index based upon his car's proven
performance, like a golf handicap.  They already do that with the Pro Solo.
Who cares if you have the wrong shift knob on your G Stock Opel Cadette!  You
get a five second handicap against the nitrous Corvette, and if you lose, next
time you get a six second handicap!  You could then classify cars however you
like; by color, country of origin, retail price, etc.

Another method would be my bowling ball handicap.  Each time you win, you add
a bowling ball to the passenger footwell of your car.  After about five
bowling balls, your competition will definitely have an advantage!  Then he
gets the bowling balls. The Mod drivers would probably have to chain the balls
to an axle and tow them behind, or maybe they could build an overhead rack of
some sort.  It would have to be included as a GCR modification, but I think it
would effectively "level the playing field".

Sixteen more days

Leisure Suit Terry