Re: shop manuals

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:27:58 -0500
If a more verifiably measurement was submitted by one or more people the
conscensis would quickly replace the obviously erronious one since that one
could not be confirmed from a second independent source ("We now know that
the block is legal when the pistons are .010" below the deck, and have
known this for 15-16 years.").
I don't know how many parts you have bought from a dealer lately, but they
do not stock much beyond the most commonly needed service parts and order
the rest from central warehouses as needed. I've had to order every part
I've needed for my 2002 Toyota except oil filters. Try to buy or order a MAS
for a first gen RX7 or most any part or spec for a Fiero or Mazda RX3 and
see how far you get, especially when you tell them you just want to measure
the part and give it back to them. (go ahead, do it, they probably can use a
good laugh!) What dealer are you going to go to to get a spec or buy a part
for a Fiat, Opal, Yugo, MG?
Dealers are NOT this end-all be-all gearhead's disneyland that has specs and
parts for every car that manufacturer ever made, just waiting with baited
breath for AXers to need their expertise. You (collective "you" for those
who keep singing this one note dealer song) need to take off the rose
colored glasses and forget about getting much of any assistance from them.
Hell, I had to teach the service mgr at my Mazda dealership what a rain rail
was and how the known issue with cracking (on all the Miata boards) was
allowing the rain to run into my Miata to get it fixed under warantee. He
first told me it WASN'T leaking because the trunk was dry (it hadn't rained
in two weeks). After I took him over to a water hose and ran water over the
top and watched it pour into the trunk, he then insisted there was no such
thing as a rain rail and the body seams were leaking and needed to be
rewelded (he was actually going to do this under warantee!)!!!! The kicker
is that he had been Mazda's zone service supervisor for 15 years before
coming to the dealership!
He actually became abusively angry and told me that I should go to another
dealership if I thought I knew more than he did, he would not authorize any
work on my car! THIS is the type person you'd rather trust to prove
legality????
If you don't like my database suggestion, come up with a more workable one
that DOESN'T involve dealerships and unobtainable items, that one's a pipe
dream. I've given what I believe is a workable solution, so now I am outa
here, it's someone else's turn.