Re: shop manuals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:12:58 EST
In a message dated 3/13/04 9:27:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
golden1@britsys.net writes:

> If a more verifiably measurement was submitted by one or more people the
> conscensis would quickly replace the obviously erronious one since that one
> could not be confirmed from a second independent source ("We now know that
> the block is legal when the pistons are .010" below the deck, and have
> known this for 15-16 years.").

My point is that your suggestion would have us all over the map on what the
"current accepted measurement" is for a given item.  Yes, blocks had to be
measured.  There are some friendly people within the manufacturer-dealer
network.

> I don't know how many parts you have bought from a dealer lately, but they
> do not stock much beyond the most commonly needed service parts and order
> the rest from central warehouses as needed. I've had to order every part
> I've needed for my 2002 Toyota except oil filters. Try to buy or order a MAS
> for a first gen RX7 or most any part or spec for a Fiero or Mazda RX3 and
> see how far you get, especially when you tell them you just want to measure
> the part and give it back to them. (go ahead, do it, they probably can use a
> good laugh!) What dealer are you going to go to to get a spec or buy a part
> for a Fiat, Opal, Yugo, MG?

Well, let's see, in order...  I've worked for car dealerships since 1977,
most of my parts come from dealerships.  If you want Mazda parts, you'll find
that Mazda has a great program that circumvents the dealership, and they've
even
helped SCCA with parts measurements.  I've owned 1 Opel, and 3 Fiats.  Fiat
parts are still being imported.  Part of my autocross vehicle choice has to do
with documentation in case of protest.  MG FSMs are availble.  Why would anyone
autocross a Yugo?

> Dealers are NOT this end-all be-all gearhead's disneyland that has specs and
> parts for every car that manufacturer ever made, just waiting with baited
> breath for AXers to need their expertise. You (collective "you" for those
> who keep singing this one note dealer song) need to take off the rose

There are good and bad people in dealerships, just like any other business.
Yes, the SEB needs to re-write the rules, but your suggestions don't sound
very well thought out to me.

Charlie