Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:56:22 -0600
Matt Murray wrote:

> In hindsight, perhaps the Club should have embraced Steve.

I'm not aware of how he was "spurned," but if the startup performance of PRO a
couple years back is any indication, I don't see how anyone could argue that
SCCA should have embraced his ideas. So far, they haven't been shown to work.

The current incarnation has several negatives from my POV:

1. It's not autocross. This is the most important piece to me. I don't want to
drag race or get dizzy running around a skidpad, I want to autocross.

2. The woeful lack of information at what is now a very late hour. Even if you
wanted to prepare a car for the series, you couldn't do so intelligently.

3. The points-based rule system.

Considered as a business, I understand why Steve took the route he did. This
pass makes a LOT more sense in terms of potential market size than the previous
attempt, and I believe that, with CD's promotional help, there will be a large
number of first-time competitors who show up. Whether those newbies return for
more is the $64,000 question. Without substantial outside subsidies in the form
of long-term sponsorship, I don't believe the numbers are there to show a
profit. In any case, I don't see this enterprise as a direct competitor to
Solo2. Whether PRO flies or not, I believe our sport will continue to grow and
prosper.

Jay