Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:58:10 EST
Steve writes:
How soon history is lost.

George Santayana wote: "those who cannot remember the past are comdemned to
repeat it".

Street Prepared started out _exactly_ the way STS did.  A class intended to
capture the enthisast of the day that had fun cars with popular
modifications.   That "street" is used in the class's name does not specify
that the car be "streetable" as that is a subjective term.  In Street
Prepared, the cars must retain their road going equipment (lights, wipers,
interiors, DOT tires, etc...) thus they are inherently "street cars" as
opposed to "racing cars" from the prepared and modified catagories. STS will
follow the same path as SP as it matures and the car will become less and
less 'streetable' as a result.
Not sure what you mean about history being lost.  The difference is that SP
allows things to be done that make a car not smogable (obvious), and things
that make it almost impossible to use on a daily basis (on-off switch
clutches).
The rules made a lot more sense in 1983 than they do now because technology
has superceded the ruleset.  ST retains catalytic converters and all other
emissions equipment, and doesn't allow swiss cheese flywheels with hair trigger
clutches.  It's my opinion that these differences will keep the category
streetable.
>   Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself, but there's a lot of gray
> hair on the SP grid, just as there is on the Prepared and Mod grids.

I don't have any gray hair, but when SP was new we were all young, just as
you find STS today.  I started in SP back in '83 when it was a new catagory.
However, you will find as wide a range of ages on the SP grid as you do in
Stock.   However, there is a cost factor too.  You are not as likely to find
a well prepared SP car driven by a 19 year old college student with a part
time job.  He simply doesn't have the time/money necessary.   But that same
guy is likely to own a Honda Civic with lowering springs and a cold air
intake.  If he could afford more, he would have it.  So he ends up in STS.
I think you just made my point for me...
But that 's not the only story because we have seen a range of entrants in
STS, including a few with 'gray hair', but I didn't call them that. ;-)
As one of those with gray hair, and one who has competed in every category
except SM, I'm returning to STS.  I'm twice as old as most of my competitors.

Charlie