Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>, <Smokerbros@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:21:03 -0500
At 12:14 PM 2/27/2005, Steve Hoelscher wrote:

>I think Steve (PRO) will find this 'points system' of classification to be
>extremely difficult to manage, regulate and even more difficult to enforce.
  It will be extremely difficult on a "good day", impossible on most days.
For reasons "we" all understand or will if we think about it for awhile.

However, I really suspect that the goal is more "the experience" than the
championships. Witness Mazda Rev it Up. The "target audience" didn't win,
one of several hot shoes from Solo won . . . which was probably predicted.
However, thousands of people got to experience the cars. The organizers of
PRO may be a little naive regarding "rules understanding and compliance" by
the "average newbie enthusiast" who shows up, but the "average newbie
enthusiast" who shows up, even in a subtly overprepared (accidently or on
purpose) car isn't going to beat the experienced Solo hot shoe who shows up
in a ideally prepared and legal car.

Off course, the "average newbie enthusiast" will assume the reason he got
beat was because the solo hot shoe's car was faster (legally or otherwise)
and won't have a clue that driving just "might" have had something to do
with it:-) That attitude "may" turn out to be PRO's biggest PR challenge.

FYI, it seems to me that if someone is serious about a PRO championship
that he/she should pick a car and prep level where his/her car can dominate
with only the most important clearly legal mods (with him/her driving) and
can beat any subtly "over prepared" car in the class. For example, if I'm
running a Z06 Vette on tight courses with 100 - 199 tires, do I really care
if someone else in the class has tweaked his motor?

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF