Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:08:59 EST
Steve writes:
I was responding to Knuckledraggers comment regarding his opinion of the
state of SP and ST.  ST being "the cars that enthusiast have and the way
they modify them".  Such was exactly the case in 1983 when SP was created.
And that SP has matured, STS has not.  Understanding the history here will
allow you to understand what SP is, where it came from and why it is what it
is now.  One will also understand that STS will follow that same path, just
as every other catagory has.
Steve-  I was there, and I do understandwhat SP was and is.  The problem with
SP is that there are to many uses of words like "unrestricted", "any",
"free", etc. These rules faux pas allowed technology to surpass the rules as
written.  If that's what you mean by "maturing", fine.  But unless the SEB
makes the
mistake of  loosening the rules over time, STS's restrictions will keep it
from "maturing" in the same way.
> The difference is that SP
> allows things to be done that make a car not smogable (obvious), and
things that make it almost impossible to use on a daily basis (on-off switch
clutches). The rules made a lot more sense in 1983 than they do now because
technology has superceded the ruleset.  ST retains catalytic converters and
all other emissions equipment, and doesn't allow swiss cheese flywheels with
hair
trigger clutches.  It's my opinion that these differences will keep the
category
> streetable.

Careful what you proclaim.  My 4 time DSP Championship winning car is as
streetable as any STS car and with a simple change of springs and tires it
would be as easy to drive daily as a completely stock example.  It is also
fully street legal.  That it is not licensed and insured is only by my
preference.
Maybe your car is an anomaly, but most SP cars don't have a catalytic
converter or emissions equipment, and have aftermarket fuel injection, which
keep
them from being street legal.
STS does allow changes in spring rate and it is 3 Hz ride frequencies more
than anything else that really make cars unstreetable.  Oh, wait... many of
our STS candidates are already riding on the bump stops so that doesn't
matter.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I don't think an STS car has to
have unstreetably stiff springs to be Nationally competitive.
 As for STS "growing because the rules make sense" is off
target.  STS is growing because it addresses a large market.  As for making
sense, that is open to debate.
And I'll agree to disagree with you here as well.

Charlie