RE: Course design and surface

To: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Subject: RE: Course design and surface
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:55:01 -0800
At 03:30 PM 3/13/00 -0800, Carl Merritt wrote:
>> Maybe we could tape a crepe paper streamer along the cones that mark
>>   the light beams? It'd stand out in a scrambling worker's mind a lot
>>   more than just the cones.
>
>It's those cones that were most often getting whacked, and the resetting of
>those cones that caused the most timing trips.  I would think paper would
>just complicate things.  A chalk line however would be nice, as several
>times I had to move to one end of the beam to see which side of the beam a
>downed cone was before going to pick it up.  Would an extraneous chalk line
>like that confuse drivers too much?

We've used the chalk line in the past - I remember seeing John Kelley
chalking it at the Candlestick event.  We just kind of overlooked it at
this event.  Also, one of the tricks that I picked up from (I think...)
Jerry Mouton was to use the green cones to delineate the timing beams -
unfortunately, that's another thing I forgot to ask someone to do...

One request (not just for Carl, but for everyone who comes out to play) -
if you see something that would make the event better, like drawing a
simple chalk line, please let the event chair know!  There's usually a lot
to do, with only a little time, so things like this slip through the
cracks.  Having someone point out things that we missed helps - just don't
be surprised if you're asked to correct the problem that you've found!  :-)

>something about that finishing S was just brutally difficult for many
>people, and I would say it was probably more difficult than necessary to
>slow people down

I think it was basically a finesse move - you either had to set it up just
right, starting back a couple corners before the S, or you had to be
patient enough to brake and take it slow.  If you let the red mist rise and
tried to power through, you wouldn't make it.  I'm not sure, but I think
that the morning run groups didn't have as much of a problem with the S as
the afternoon group - whether this was because of the morning Rookie Course
Walk, or the surface was different, or people were less aggressive in the
morning, I don't know...

Jim Ochi
jochi@ricochet.net