RE: Course design and surface

To: "Smith, Corey" <Corey.Smith@kla-tencor.com>,
Subject: RE: Course design and surface
From: Scot Zediker <mx5_1991@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:53:02 -0800 (PST)

--- "Smith, Corey" <Corey.Smith@kla-tencor.com> wrote:
> An extraneous chalk line might be a good idea.  You
> could use those drywall
> strips to chalk off a little "DO NOT ENTER" zone
> that is at least the width
> of the timing light box, and extends all the way up
> to the edge of the
> course itself.  Hopefully this would prevent any
> course worker from tripping
> the lights.  It would only take a couple more
> minutes and a few more inches
> of drywall to setup.

Not a bad idea, but hopefully the course workers are
not looking at the ground when chasing cones.  If the
"forbidden zone" is too narrow, it may be too late by
the time the course workers realize they're in it.

> In addition to that, a good visual clue that runs
> across the course might be
> a dotted chalk line parallel to the light beam.
> And, of course, it's dotted
> so that it doesn't get confused with a course edge.
> This would also aid the
> course worker in knowing where the timing lights are
> located, but would also
> help the driver know when he can get off the
> throttle.  I've noticed many
> rookies staying on the throttle well past the timing
> lights.  I know a
> couple people were nervous when a couple cars were
> sliding sideways and
> backwards toward the grid.

Another option for this would be to do what Sac
Chapter does.  They have a stop sign that they place
just after the timing lights.  (Boris, are you
listening? ;)

> Oh yeah, I just wanna mention that I really enjoyed
> the course design at
> Oakland.  That long, fast, left-hand sweeper was
> great, especially the kink.
> It took some courage to bomb through that kink
> without using the brakes
> much, but it took lots of time off.  The next two

Brakes?  In my Miata, I never needed the brakes until
the 180-deg. left, but I didn't have the guts to go
through that kink without lifting until my third run.

> turns, left then right,
> were all about patience, and keeping the car on the
> clean stuff.  The finish

Absolutely.  And what made the right tough for me was
1) decreasing radius; and 2) the "proper" line was
really dirty.

> S's were especially difficult, but very rewarding
> when you set up for them
> correctly.

Funny, I had these right on the first two runs, but on
my third I came in way too hot (speed AND
temperament), thus treating everyone to the unusual
sight of me plowing right across several cones and
DNF'ing what would have been my fastest run of the
day.  It still wouldn't have helped me, though, since
I tagged a cone in that set of lefts after the middle
not-quite-straight section.

BTW, it's very difficult to get a cone out from
underneath a Miata, even one that isn't lowered.
Guess I'll have to clean up my act at CandleCom on the 25th...

=====
Scot Zediker
mx5_1991@yahoo.com
San Jose, CA

"If Bill Gates had a dollar for every time Windows crashed... no, wait, he
does!"