Re: Course design and surface

To: jeremybb@leland.Stanford.EDU, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Course design and surface
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:29:36 EST
In a message dated 3/14/00 9:50:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jeremybb@leland.Stanford.EDU writes:

<< I'm new to all this, but if the point of the esses was to slow people down
 for the finish but there is a problem with lots of cones being knocked over
 near the timing lights, couldn't the esses (or whatever shape is used to
 slow people down) be put after the lights? >>

Think about the ramifications of that...  You're going to let people charge
into the finish fast, jacked up on adrenaline, then put maneuvers in?
Believe me, that would be much more chaotic than the finish at round 2.  It
is generally accepted in Solo 2 that you limit speed by slowing people down
early, rather than late.  Allowing a lot of speed then throwing in maneuvers
is a recipe for disaster.

Charlie