Re: Course design and surface

To: cmerritt@ati.com
Subject: Re: Course design and surface
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:33:00 EST
In a message dated 3/13/00 3:31:29 PM Pacific Standard Time, cmerritt@ati.com
writes:

<< Charlie's point is well taken, with the need to slow the cars down before
 the finish because there just isn't proper shutdown room at Oakland.  But
 something about that finishing S was just brutally difficult for many
 people, and I would say it was probably more difficult than necessary to
 slow people down (In my humble back-seat-driver
 never-designed-a-course-before opinion).  >>

There were people (including my student in a BMW M Coupe on street tires, and
some fairly large cars) who got through it very quickly, which tells me that
the ones who didn't just plain screwed up.  This sport isn't about being
easy.  I think the finish separated the patient from the impatient.

I think more people should design courses, quite frankly.

CHD
You can't please all the people all the time.