Re: Round 14

To: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Round 14
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:04:12 -0700

> If you're right my proposal won't keep anyone out.
> It *will* eliminate rookie trophies for the slush series.
> We could try awarding the trophies deeper in each
> open class to make up for that. We could split the
> street tire class if it grows too large as you pointed
> out others have done.
        Or we could keep track of new drivers (rookies) and give a trophy to
the highest placing rookie in each class as they do in many racing series.

> My proposal would provide some limited safeguard
> against the participating membership growing faster
> than we can handle.
>
> The only thing I know for sure is that no idea will
> ever get a fair hearing with so many knees ready to
> jerk in reaction to any proposal of something new
> to consider.
        Don't make me a bad person for offering what my experience has taught
me. My fear is not of the change, but that we'll implement it too
quickly and then have to live with it forever.

> The other thing I'm relative certain of is that if we
> don't face this problem in this year's slush series
> we are certainly going to face it when we find
> a suitable permanent site. This is all about who
> gets to play, and who makes it possible. I don't
> think we need to be deadly afraid of openly
> discussing it.
        Agreed...and Jerry's idea of two series (can we trust ourselves to
competently manage two series?) deserves some examination. NASA and
Sacramento help spread the load, too.

> The committee rules and it's high time we put
> a stop to *any* ideas being steamrollered
> through it without serious and considered
> thought about the potential consequences.
        Before I was on the web participating I was always amazed on how
quickly new ideas got passed in the Steering Committee meetings by those
who were...too fast, and difficult to put a hold on. All stemmed from
chats like this on the web. One question should be about who is debating
the question, those who attempt to manage whatever happens (the Steering
Committee) or the many voices on the net. We certainly should listen and
consider the idea presented on this forum, but we don't have to make a
decision here.
--Pat K